Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sharing the Road with.. Runners?

Day 5 – 1/31/09

I biked up Beacon St.  To Cleveland circle, which is the end of Beacon st.  It comes to almost a T at a reservoir.  Which is a beautiful place to run during the summer.  I biked for 40 min and was just happy to be back on the bike.  For the last two days I have not been able to go biking, I don’t know if that was because I was not pushing my self enough or the fact that we got 12 inches of snow on Thursday (could be both).  I woke up this morning after having slept 5 hours last night, full of energy.  I was amazed because I had stayed up till 4 am but my body wanted to go do things, so I went and did things.  Getting my warm cloths together and carrying my bike down stairs, just build up the anticipation of the ride.  I was so excited to be biking.  Its Saturday morning so there were not allot of cars on the road (thank you weekends) but something that was strange was, instead of having to fight for my space on the road with cars I was weaving through swarms of runners.  There were runners with their spandex and multi colored outfits running in my bike lane…what is up with that?  I do have to say it was nice seeing all these people out and about (most of them were smiling) but it just struck me as odd that they felt as though they should just use the bike lane to run in.  It wasn’t like the sidewalks were full, in fact I think there were more people on the streets than on the sidewalks. I know Boston is a pedestrian town but come on!  After running a few of them over (joking…no really, I’m…joking…) I got to the reservoir.  I was hoping that the town had plowed the path that went around the rim of the water because I know that it would be a beautiful ride, but I had no such luck. I did get to bike around the frozen water, I just had to use the road which wasn’t bad.   For half of my trip I was heading west on beacon then around the water and for that entire time I was biking against the wind… It was slow and painful.  The icy cold wind hitting my face almost cutting into my skin, but I continued, I pushed through, for myself and for the future of my adventures. When I turned the corner to head back in the east direction my ride flew by.  I was back in my apartment and ready to take on the day.  This ride was one that slightly introduced me to the troubles that I will meet along my cross-country journey, which was good to have as a warning that it wasn’t going to be easy.  I was happy to see everybody’s faces as I biked past them on the road and look forward to seeing many more people through out my travels.

 

TOTAL DISTANCE FOR DAY (TDD) : 4.57 miles

TOTAL TIME FOR THE DAY (TTD) : 40 min

 

TOTAL TIME TRAINING: 3.41 hrs

TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED: 24.17 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment