Thursday, April 15, 2010

Being Creative and Making Sacrifices to Get to Do What You Want


This is my favorite photo so far (sunset over the Hudson)

These last several days have been eye opening. I have talked to many people, from Portland, PA residents (beautiful little town by the way), to a Devotion in Motion instructor in Delta, PA. to some Tea Party members in Washington D.C. Each person was willing to let me ask questions about their beliefs without hesitation and without rejection. I have slept at friends houses, friend's relative's houses, campgrounds and the backyards of churches. I know that I have allot more to go and will be experiencing a wide range of rejection and acceptance but so far the people of this country have been very open to me and my travels. I do of course get the shocked look each time I tell them that in three months I will be in San Diego, CA but that usually wears off to a genuine well wishing.

One question that I have been getting allot that I was not expecting was "you must have worked really hard to be able to finance this trip haven't you?" It must be a sign of the times I guess. (and yes I did work very hard to be able to figure out the financial side of this trip and am still figuring it out as I go*thanks to all that have contributed so far*)

I guess I didn't think that that would be one of the first question that would cross peoples minds, I figured it would be more focused on "how crazy are you?" (I would say, medium crazy) or " does it hurt to ride on such a small seat? (yes, some times it does) but finance is on peoples mind. I found that the closer I got to D.C. the more people were concerned about finances.

I do feel very honored that I can do this trip I was not expecting to be able to do the trip at the scale that it is. I feel that because I am fortunate enough to do this I have more of a responsibility to incorporate as many people as I can. That is why I have the website for you to post your own stories so you can contribute to the documentary. If you don't want to create a video send me an email about how you came to live where you live or any story that you feel you need to let out. I want to see, read, learn your stories as I am trying to figure out my own. And always keep following me on twitter.

For all the people that are worried about the financial side of their own bike tour or doing something that you are passionate about, it is of course a legitimate concern but what I have found is that if you really want to do it, there are avenues to get what you need (don't steel). You will have to sacrifice many things that you would usually want or do but it can happen. I was always told by my mother that I need to dream about what I want first THAN I can figure out how to get it. Once you know what you want clearly than you can be open to seeing the possibilities around you. Be creative, because its out there.

BIKE TRACKS: "One Week"

TODAY'S MILES: 54.66 miles
TODAY'S TIME: 5.04 hrs

TOTAL TRIP MILES: 646.2 miles
TOTAL TRIP: 11 of 90 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment