Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Snow, Snow, SNOOOOOOOWWWWW



Day 8 – 2/4/09
Yesterday was a wonderful snow storm that added to the wonderful piles of frozen water that line the streets of Boston. It was pretty but I couldn’t ride (well I guess I could have but…well you get the picture) BUT today the streets were plowed and the sun was out so I got on my bike and road down to the JP ponds to do a quick loop. I figured that the bike path that surrounded the pond would be nice and plowed like the streets were…(first wrong assumption) then I assumed no body would be there wrong again (those freakin’ runners always… you know…runnin’) I got to the bike path and they HAD plowed the path but instead of pushing the snow to the sides of the path they just packed right down onto the cement…brilliance! Now instead of a snowy path I have an unstable surface that makes for a fun game of guess when the bump is coming! I did make it all the way around the pond slipping and sliding. I thought I would be going strait and then all of the sudden my back tire was on one side of the path and my front was on the other side…It was FUN! I did not crash, but my bike took a beating. One thing that I learned from that loop was the idea of grounding my back tire to keep traction. Usually when I get into a trouble spot while biking I stand up and put the weight on the peddles but with snow you want to sit down and almost lean back to keep the traction working for you.
I need some suggestions on some books or tricks that others have to take care of my bike in the winter. I keep it inside but I know that with every ride I go on the salt and the sand and the water gets into the gears and can start eroding the mettle of the frame and well that just does not sound appealing to me. So any suggestions would be helpful, just post them to this message. I am doing research into this also so I will keep the information flowing both ways.

TOTAL DISTANCE FOR DAY (TDD) : 5.04 miles
TOTAL TIME FOR THE DAY (TTD) : 40 min

TOTAL TIME TRAINING: 5 hrs 35 min
TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED: 42.72 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment