Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Witching Town




Day 38 – 4/9/09

Having a destination in mind has helped motivate my rides. I love getting on the bike and just riding, but having a destination and knowing when I will get there just keeps me focused and on the bike for a longer time. Today that destination was Salem, MA. Jesse and I rode our bikes there for two reasons; 1 being to see the coast and 2 because Lara works there on Tuesdays and Thursdays (so exploring the Salem dungeon with her would be fun).

Doing our best to follow Google maps instructions we got most of the way there. It is almost a straight shot with a couple of tricky turns. One of the places we stopped to ask for directions was Rollin’s Barbershop (410 Lincoln Ave Saugus, MA 01906) in Saugus. I walked in to the front door and had found myself in the middle of a living room with a barber chair around the corner. There was a gentleman, Mr. Rollin I presumed, sitting on a couch watching the daily news. I asked him about where we were and he proceeded to tell me where we were and how we could get to Salem. I chatted with him about my bike trip and asked him if I could take a photo (the one displayed to your right). He was very kind and I could have talked with him for a while longer, but I realized that Jesse was outside probably questioning why I was gone for so long (I did need a hair cut). After saying goodbye we got on our bikes and road into the "witching town". I had been to Salem twice before but it was during Halloween so I really did not get to see Salem and experience the history of that town. It was classic, scary, and reminded me of a traditional coastal town that just happen to be one of the centers for witch mania. After seeing Lara in her play and tour, Jesse and I got some gelato (heterosexual life mates, I swear) and took our trip back to Boston.

Salem was great and it was Jesse’s longest ride so far with a total of 42.6 miles, so congrats to him. We will be going back because; what a destination to have!

BIKE TRACK: Maroon 5 (Maroon 5)

BEST BUDDIES CHALLENGE:
$410.00 of $2750.00
DONATE HERE
Before May 30th, 2009

TOTAL DISTANCE FOR DAY (TDD) : 42.6 miles
TOTAL TIME FOR THE DAY (TTD) : 6 hr

TOTAL TIME TRAINING: 61 hrs 10 min
TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED: 449.81Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment