Monday, February 1, 2010

-11 Degree Weather and Still Biking

Biking in -11 degree weather is reserved for the special people. I happen to be one of those special people. What drove me to put on my bike shorts, my wind breaker, my gloves, face mask, leggings, wool sock, and beanie? I want to say that it is my drive and will to keep biking no matter what but I can not tell you that with out saying that I needed to go to Melrose and I didn't want to pay for the commuter rail.

Though my toes were frozen by the end and I had to use a hot pack to thaw them out I did not encounter any trouble with the trip. When it gets that cold the world stops and I felt as though I was in a ghost city where even the tumbleweeds would not roll.

LESSON LEARNED: My clip shoes are make to keep my feet dry so there is allot of air flow. to keep my feet warm I Velcroed some hand warmers to the from of my shoe. It kept it warm for about ten minutes than when the feet started the sweat the shoe would do its job and let the air flow right into my foot thus causing them to freeze. So in the future put your hand warmers inside your shoe if it fits that way you wont leave a nice jet stream for some nice air-conditioning in your shoe.

It has been some months since I have updated you on my preparation for my trip. since then I have been going full steam collecting all the necessary items to make this dream a reality. some of those things are(brands and more specifics are to come when new site is launched):

Lone peak panniers (saddle bags for to carry things) (p-500)(p-100)
Back and a Front rack
leggings
winterbike gloves
facemask
CO2 bike pump
road tires
wind jacket
MSR firefly stove
sleeping bag

WHAT I AM IN NEED OF:
small 3 season 2 person tent
handlebar bag

I have recently had my photos taken and will be showing those soon once I have narrowed them down.

BIKE TRACKS: Red Hot Chilly Peppers

TOTAL DISTANCE FOR DAY (TDD) : 14 miles
TOTAL TIME FOR THE DAY (TTD) : 1.5 hr

TOTAL TIME TRAINING: ~
TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED: 2103.84Miles


No comments:

Post a Comment